Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Surprisingly Good Day

I still don't have any results from the CT. I consider that a good thing. What I can tell you though, is that yesterday could not have gone any better. I mean if you are going to have to have a child with cancer, if she is going to have to be scanned every quarter, if she is going to have to have an IV, and if you are going to have to wait for hours on end; then I don't think you could have a better day. It went absolutely perfectly. The timing was good. Everybody was friendly - as always. Sydney was chipper. Mom was chipper. I was no goofier than usual. It was just a good day for scanning. I guess I am happiest of all that I did not receive a phone call yesterday afternoon with bad news.

Sydney was her usual stellar self. In fact, she was downright fun. She was even fun while she was getting no less that two stabs to get her IV in place. So, okay, it would have been a better day if she only had to have one poke. But honestly, these days and with those poor little spidery chemo veins, I consider just getting the IV in place a success. She was a champ. We were even able to squeeze out 20 cc of blood to send down to Houston. That is usually quite a challenge. She is rarely that juicy. So, as you can see, if you are going to have to go through all that, it really was a complete success.

First thing this morning we have Sydney's MIBG scan. Am I nervous? Is there any other way to be? Of course, I am. For better or worse though, by about 8:45 AM I will have a really good idea of where we stand. You may remember that I have no talent when it comes to reading an MIBG scan. That is still true. However, there are a few areas of concern and I will be watching closely for those. Judging by my past experience with MIBG I am pretty sure that I will still assume that her entire body is full of neuroblsatoma until I get the call from Dr. Eames.

So, a quick funny story: Yesterday Ainsley was off from school. It was a holiday for our little princess from her Jewish day care. She spent the morning running errands with DeeDee while we were with Sydney. All very normal stuff. DeeDee brought her to our house for lunch just before her nap. Ainsley was tired. None the less, DeeDee pulled out a lunch bag from the refrigerator which contained the lunch that Lynley had so carefully made for that morning. As DeeDee pulled each item from the bag she explained to Ainsley what it contained. "A peanut butter and jelly sandwich, some yogurt, grapes, and graham crackers." Ainsley became down right indignant. "No, those are not graham crackers. Those are Ainsley crackers."

My twerps. Aren't they awesome.

I love my purpii.

Still purposefully praying for clean scans.

No comments: